Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Saeco Aroma Espresso & Cappuccino Pump Machine

Saeco Aroma Espresso & Cappuccino Pump MachineI've been using this machine for the past couple weeks and so far I love it! It looks great on the counter, doesn't take up much space, it seems solidly built and I couldn't be happier with the quality of the drinks I've been making with it. I'm a latte/cappuccino drinker so I can't really comment on the subtleties of a good espresso shot but the shots look great, they have plenty of crema and the milk based drinks are just delicious, much better than what I get at the local coffee shops.

I usually don't write long reviews but while researching before I bought it, I found plenty of negative reviews from people who seem to have unrealistic expectations or who didn't bother to do their homework or read the manual.

Things to consider and common complaints:

This is a single boiler machine, which requires the machine to be primed every time you steam milk. If you don't, it will end up suffering from a premature death due to overheating. You may be able to find a self-priming machine for this price (I didn't run into any but it's not a feature I particularly cared for). If you want a dual boiler machine then you'll have to invest more money. Personally, I don't mind priming it, it may feel like there are too many steps at first but once you get a hang of it, it's extremely quick and simple.

It comes with a pressurized portafilter which is less sensitive to grinding finesse and tamping pressure and will give you a consistent espresso shot even if you don't really know what you are doing. For the average user this can be a great feature, since you can get a good shot with pre-ground espresso or a pod. However, if you are really into the art of making the perfect espresso and want to play around with grinding and tamping pressure, then you'll probably want a regular portafilter.

The steaming wand is a bit too low and only rotates horizontally, which limits the size of the frothing container you can use. Not an issue for me but something you may want to consider. I use a 16 oz. frothing pitcher and as long as I keep it filled up to somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4, I can work without issues. With more liquid than that, I would spill some on the counter when trying to remove the pitcher. This can be addressed by raising the machine (something like a thick cutting board underneath it could work) or by placing the machine on the far right edge of the counter.

The cup warmer seems a bit on the flimsy side. I'm just being picky with this one, I don't really care about that so just an FYI.

The panarello attachment makes it really easy to get thick foam but a bit tricky to get microfoam. I've been experimenting with it to get microfoam and I've got some good results. However, it is a bit harder to do than with a regular steam wand and I'm not sure if it will be good enough for latte art. Again, if you don't care about latte art, this is no big deal and your drinks will come out just fine.

If the portafilter is not tight enough or if it's too full, water will leak from the top. This happened to me when I first got it and was trying to set it up. It was a bit too tight which required extra strength to make it fit right. After a couple of tries, it loosened up, getting it on and off became very easy and there are no leaks whatsoever.

I can't comment on durability but I will update this review if I run into any issues.

Overall, I'd say this is a great purchase for the price as long as you know what to expect and it suits your needs. If you decide to get it, do yourself a favor and read the manual. =)

Fine machine. Brews an excellent shot with good head. Heats up quickly and the durability has been excellent. Steams well but it definitely takes longer than I'm used to. I have this one at work but the 30013 at home which I think is an even better model. Brews and steams much quicker and while the case is the same the push buttons on this one feel less solid than the flip switches on the 30013.

Buy Saeco Aroma Espresso & Cappuccino Pump Machine Now

I've purchased 3 different Saeco machines and have ownd a La Pavoni espresso maker in the past. I have a home in Italy where the first two Saecos were purchased and a home in the U.S. where I have my third.

I had second thoughts about buying an Italian coffee machine in the U.S. because all of these at one time or another require professional maintenance. Every single one of my 4 espresso machines has had to go to the shop for one thing or another. In Italy, espresso is part of everyday life and there are a lot more of these machines in use and being serviced. My authorized Saeco dealer near my Italian home knows these machines very well and always provides expert service.

My U.S. machine recently stopped providing enough hot steam to froth milk properly. I contacted Saeco USA and was given a warranty number and instructed to send the machine to their Livermore, Californa shop. I did so and in about a week the machine arrived back at my home. When I unboxed it, the machine had been sealed in a plastic bag and placed in the box. When I opened the plastic bag, water poured onto my floor. Not a mere amount of condensation either. The entire machine was soaking wet. The repair center it seems was so unfamiliar with these machines that they didn't know to pump out all of the water prior to shipping. Then, I read their repair report which said that there was no problem with the machine and recommended that the customer (me) let the machine heat up before trying to use the steam wand. (I've been letting it heat up and steam twice trying to get hot frothed milk to no avail)

The machine is no better than when I sent it in...it still doesn't provide enough hot steam to froth and I'm out the $40.00 shipping and packaging that I spent sending the machine to the service center. I notified Saeco USA about this last week and requested a replacement. I haven't heard back from their company.

My recommendation...if you live in Italy where these can get serviced properly, by all means buy one. When it is working correctly it's a nice machine. But, if you are a U.S. customer, I'd pass.

Read Best Reviews of Saeco Aroma Espresso & Cappuccino Pump Machine Here

After my old, cheap combo drip/espresso coffee maker gave up the ghost, I decided to invest in a serious espresso machine. I followed the advice given by Alton Brown from his Good Eats episode on espresso and wound up with the same machine that he uses. It's a lovely semi-automatic machine. By semi-automatic, I mean that the machine pushes water through the portafilter to make coffee as long as the switch is on; it's up to you to decide when to shut it off. Same goes for the milk frothing attachment. But the frother attachment is a big, wide plastic tube which is easy to clean, the water tank has enough capacity for a week's worth of espresso, and the pump can make for a lovely shot of espresso with a beautiful head of crema.

I think I would have preferred the design esthetic of a previous model, where the brewing and frothing switches were on/off switches as opposed to up/down buttons, but that quibble aside, this is a lovely machine for do-it-yourself espresso and cappuccino.

Want Saeco Aroma Espresso & Cappuccino Pump Machine Discount?

I purchased this for 300$ with free shipping and a free kit including 6 espresso cups, saucers, spoons and a milk foaming metal pitcher and some espresso blend grounds as well. This machine works great, it's solid, simple, small and powerful. The machine warms up quickly and has few buttons so it won't confuse you.

**Like most machines of this sort, you do need to learn how to use it and it does require maintenance every so often (rinsing, descaling, etc...) but once you use it as it is intended, the results are stellar. Maybe it's just the grounds, but this thing pumps out espresso just like I remember from my trip to Portugal; great crema and very straightforward to use. The steam wand works great, better than some commercial models I've used working in cafe's.

Just make sure you prime the water circuit and warm the portafilter (where you put the grounds) before you put the grounds in. Warming the portafilter has the side benefit of warming the cup as well(which you'll put under the portafilter to catch the water), which most espresso snobs will tell you is necessary for great espresso anyway.

The espresso water pump and the steam wand do seem to continue to leak water a tiny bit after use, but keeping them over the water tray is instinctual and I have heard that even commercial models will drip a bit of water out immediately after use so I don't consider it a 'con', not really a 'pro' though either.

All in all, for this price, I couldn't be more happy. The machine is quite nice to look at too and the extras that I got it with made it a steal of a deal by my standards. It doesn't come with a real 'tamper' though, I'm still trying to find one, it's amazing how most kitchen style stores don't actually sell them.

Contents: machine, water tray, grounds disposal tray with wooden 'hit me here to empty' thingy, removable water tank, water tank top, portafilter with accessory for using ESE pods or regular ground coffee, espresso scoop/spoon.

5 stars so far and if it keeps up it's good work.

Save 18% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment