Wednesday, February 26, 2014

B150 Brewer

B150 BrewerI drink coffee pretty much all day and until I got a Keurig, I used a commercial Bunn coffee brewer and ground my own beans.

My kids got me a cinnamon colored Keurig B70 about 9 months ago. Truly, if it hadn't been a gift from my kids, I would have returned it unopened. I had read too many reviews about malfunctioning machine. Reluctantly, I set up the machine and brewed my first cup of coffee. That was it I was hooked! However, I was ready to battle Keurig if my machine began to malfunction, as so many others have.

Fortunately, my B70 worked so well that my grown kids began hinting that they would like one, too. Since the cinnamon color didn't fit especially well with the colors in my kitchen, I began looking for another Keurig so that I could gift the B70 to one of the kids.

I decided to purchase the B150 because of the larger, 90 oz. water reservoir and the fact that it would brew 5 different cup sizes (4 oz., 6 oz., 8 oz., 10 oz. and 12 oz.). I also felt that perhaps since this is a commercial machine, it might be more durable than a home machine. I've had it for about 6 months now and probably use it 15 to 20 times a day between all the family members.

Upon unpacking, I was very pleased with the heft of the machine. It feels very solid. The handle is thick, stainless steel, the water reservoir is much thicker plastic than the B70, and has double layer sides. It's obvious that this machine is meant for heavy use. The black and silver color looks well in my industrial style kitchen. It is a little larger than the B70, but not so large that it looks out of place in a home kitchen.

I really like the color, LCD touch screen. It prompts you to insert a K-cup, then you use it to select your cup size and then push the illuminated Brew button. That's it. As a side note, there are all sorts of lovely, coffee related pictures that run slide-show fashion across the LCD screen while your coffee is brewing.

The LCD screen will alert you to low water levels and when it's time to de-scale. You can also access the menu settings through the LCD screen.

This machine can be direct plumbed with an optional kit so that you never even have to fill the water reservoir. I haven't done this because my city has freakishly hard water so I only use filtered water in my Keurig. In fact, I would recommend using filtered water no matter where you live. I simply keep a Britta filter pitcher next to my machine and keep it filled throughout the day. It works perfectly because I have never seen white calcium deposits anywhere on my machine, in the reservoir, or on the puncture needle. Mineral deposits will kill appliances so filtered water is cheap insurance against that. Also, it makes your coffee taste better.

Another maintenance tip is to run 4 oz. of just water through after every cup, especially after hot cocoa. It keeps the tip from clogging and prevents transfer of flavor from one cup to the next.

If you are new to Keurig machines, one thing to keep in mind is that there is a wide variance in the quality of the K-cups. Some even have instant coffee in them (ugh)! Read reviews and then buy small quantities before you buy a huge box. Some varieties I like are Keurig Wild Mountain Blueberry (seriously good despite the way it sounds), Keurig Kahlua Original, and Folgers Gourmet Caramel Drizzle. Tazo also makes some killer tea K-cups. If you sample a number of different flavors, you are bound to find some favorites.

Also, experiment with the cup size with each brand. Some taste their best with a smaller cup size and others require the full 12 ounces of water.

The Ekobrew Reusable Filter works very well, too, and I use it for a special blend of coffee I particularly like that isn't available in K-cups yet. It's more trouble than regular K-cups but less trouble than making a conventional pot of coffee.

You will find a wild range of reviews for Keurig machines and I believe there is a quality control issue during manufacturing. I think I got lucky that both machines I purchased function perfectly (so far). I was certainly ready to return my machines, repeatedly if necessary, if they malfunctioned as so many others have mentioned and I think any buyer should be aware of the fact that there are a relatively high number of machine failures. But when they work, I think they are wonderful!

We purchased this brewer recently and in less than two months began to have issues with it. It constantly gives a lift water reservoir message, will not pump water from the reservoir to the unitthe pump is audible but not moving any water! We paid over $200 for this unit. It was a replacement for a cheaper version that also developed problemsthought that a "commercial" system would be more durable and last. DON'T WASTE your money on this system! It's a shame because it did make good coffee for a very short time.

If I can prevent one person from wasting hard earned money on one of these pieces of junk, than I can feel like I've done something good!

Buy B150 Brewer Now

Received our Keurig in a timely manner and works awesome for a small office. We had a B70 and it worked well for over a year, but I think it was not big enough for our team of coffee/tea drinkers.

Read Best Reviews of B150 Brewer Here

This is a very nice device. I especially like the display/touchscreen and the graphic interface. The images make it VERY clear what is going on as well as what steps are necessary. I recommend this unit to ANYONE who wants a Keurig, not just the business community.

Want B150 Brewer Discount?

There are ridges inside the chamber. This is fine for the thin plastic k-cups because it forms it bends to the ridges. Because the refillable k-cups are thick plastic or metal and can't bend, they will not fit in this machine. This model is meant to be sold to a business. The intent is the business can sell it's employees k-cups instead of allowing them to bringing their own refillable ones because of machine limitations. Think of how much plastic they are waisting on a daily basis. Corporate greed at it's finest.

No comments:

Post a Comment