Monday, May 26, 2014

Krups XP2070 Programmable 10-Cup Coffeemaker/15-Bar Pump Espresso Machine

Krups XP2070 Programmable 10-Cup Coffeemaker/15-Bar Pump Espresso MachineI was and still am deeply suspicious of these combo units, but this one has been a pleasant surprise. All of the basic functions work admirably and it does a wonderful job of frothing even low fat milk. The espresso maker is a little less forgiving of your tamping skills than other machines I've used, but when you get it right the crema is beautiful.

I have only had this for 3 months, so I can't vouch for longevity of the machine, but it seems to be sturdy and well made.

The problem I have is with the computer program that operates everything. It is perhaps the most non-intuitive, least user-friendly design I have ever come across on any home appliance. The functions themselves should be fairly straightforward -push a button -but require you to learn the secret code of whomever designed it.

Add to that the fact that the instructions are WRONG. I can handle them being written by a non-English speaker, I'm used to that. But they can at least be accurate. Helpful tip when frothing milk, after the steam has built up and the flashing light begins to glow continuously, DO NOT push the "steam" button again as the instructions indicate. Push the "Valid" button instead.

However, once you get the secret code down, this machine works well. Compared to other combo units I highly recommend.

My husband and I registered for this at Crate & Barrel and have been thrilled with it for 9 months now. I did immediately notice, however, that the carafe is made from very thin glass and was always scared I would break it. Other than that, the only problem I had with it was when pouring a cup of coffee, 9 times out of 10 it would leak over the sides and onto the counter if you didn't pour very slowly and sometimes even that didn't help. I just made a mental note that our next machine might be an upgrade from Krups or something like that, but still LOVED this machine. Imagine my horror when today, after our morning pot of coffee, it just completely stopped working! I unplugged it, changed outlets, nothing. The led display is just dead. The machine is dead. I've checked it every hour or so today. Nada. After doing some research online, I now see that is a common theme with this machine among people who've had it a while (the earliest I read of it happening was 5 months). I descaled it with vinegar every 3 months or so. Nothing in the manual addresses this situation. So, here I sit with a cup of Starbucks, writing this review. Starbucks just doesn't measure up anymore to having my fresh ground Kona coffee and espresso (not to mention lattes and cappuccinos!) each day....very disappointed.

UPDATE (7.11.08): We called, found we were within 3 days of waranty expiring, so sent it in to a local, authrized Krups repair shop..it came back in about a week, worked for 2 pots of coffee, then broke again. We called the shop and were told to send in again. This time it's worked (still working) for 3 weeks..now the black plastic lid above the filter area is warped and sticks/pops when you open it to put water/coffee inside. I should also mention that when they sent it back to us, they wrapped it with a plastic film and it apparently had moisture inside because now the machine has water stains all over it and looks pretty bad. I think we're giving this machine away when we move next month..did I say how it smokes and huffs/puffs when it's brewing (and it's descaled regulary)? It's too bad, because this machine looked great to start with and had such great potential!

Buy Krups XP2070 Programmable 10-Cup Coffeemaker/15-Bar Pump Espresso Machine Now

I bought the XP 2070 with the hopes of having better coffee and the espresso option. Within one week of purchase (one round of capuccinos), I am unable to turn on the espresso maker. I called customer service, and they asked me to ship the machine back and wait a month-and-a-half because "the warehouse has closed," even though this is the newest model. Very reluctantly, they threw in a few free coffee filters in the deal. I wish I had read other Amazon customer posts, that indicate that not even the CEO responds to customer service complaints.

They also said they had no information on troubleshooting the machine "because we just introduced it." It seems that any decent machine testing would check to see that you could turn on the machine. Please do not make the same mistake I did, especially with a holiday gift!

Read Best Reviews of Krups XP2070 Programmable 10-Cup Coffeemaker/15-Bar Pump Espresso Machine Here

This machine is absolute garbage. There are not enough pejoratives or expletives in the world for me to describe my feelings for this device with anything like the right level of detail.

The user interface is like trying to decode an alien artifact. The manual is terrible. The customer service and support is unbelievably bad. It is unreliable and expensive.

Get a different espresso machine, go to a coffeeshop, heck, boil coffee in a 55 gallon drum over a pile of oily rags any of these is a much more satisfactory way to get a coffee drink than using this (insert chain of imaginative diminutives) thing.

Want Krups XP2070 Programmable 10-Cup Coffeemaker/15-Bar Pump Espresso Machine Discount?

I must echo the comments in previous reviews. This is a fine machine at first -does the job and does it well -but the instructions were very complicated, the pot is poorly designed & you end up pouring just as much coffee on the counter as you do in your cup, and after 4 months of use, mine just stopped working. I really thought this $300 machine would be the last coffee maker I would have to purchase for awhile considering my $50.00 "Mr Coffee" machine worked for 5 years and is now being used as my "backup" while I try to get a resolution with Krups. (Thank goodness I decided to hold onto it!!)

Think twice before sinking so much money into this product.

No comments:

Post a Comment