Friday, June 27, 2014

Expobar Lever Semi-Auto Espresso Machine

Expobar Lever Semi-Auto Espresso MachineThis is a really nice machine for the price point. I've been using mine for about a month and I'm just starting to dail it in. The case comes off pretty easily (5 screws) so you can access to OPV for group pressure adjustment and boiler pressure. Mine came with the boiler set at .8 bar, I upped it to the green zone of the gauge about .9 bar. I also turned down the group pressure to 9 bar (it came set a 10). I have about a 2 minute recovery time and consistent shots. The biggest downside is the heat exchanger and group need pretty large flushes +-8 oz before pulling a shot. Get Eric's thermometer ($100) plugged into the group and flush to about 207 degrees. After 10 seconds, you can pull a shot at 200 degrees at the puck.

The machine is pretty big it looks large on my counter and I have a very big, modern kitchen. My wife made me move it to a less obvious location because it seemed a little oversized for the spot my Gaggia Classic used to reside. The design is nice completely stainless. The lever seems so much better that pushing a button to pull a shot. You'll get the same results, but it feels more "classic". The hot-water wand competes with the lever for space so you'll neet to orient it out to the side when pulling shots, but it doesn't drip so no worries. The drip tray is very large it'll take the entire water resevoir. BTW, the resevoir has no indicator when it is low, and you have to take the cup warmer off to fill it. Get a funnel.

I'd prefer to have a group pressure gauge, easy access to OPV and boiler pressure controls. But you'd pay an additional $300 for a machine with those features.

Note, the boiler is 1.8 liters (60 oz), not 12 oz as the description says.

I absolutely love this unit! I've had it for over a year, now, with no issues, and I use it multiple times, daily, to not only brew espresso, but to steam my chai, froth my milk, and dispense hot water for tea. I was only looking to replace my simple Krups when it "krapped" out I got a little carried away buying this unit, but, oh my! I have no regrets, whatsoever, for this "espresso factory" is truly a workhorse. It is a substantial piece of equipment that does take up some real estate on my counter, but it also deserves it! I keep it just off to the right of my sink where the sink "rinse" hose reaches it for (very) easy filling. I could have spent a whole lot more money getting it hooked directly into the waterline, but this way, I have the flexibility of moving it.

Buy Expobar Lever Semi-Auto Espresso Machine Now

No comments:

Post a Comment