Friday, August 22, 2014

Primula Stove-Top Espresso Maker, Aluminum, 3-Cup

Primula Stove-Top Espresso Maker, Aluminum, 3-CupThis worked great and I was very very happy until someone accidently ran it through the dishwasher. It came with instructions not to do this, but not everyone read them. Unfortunately, the finish was greatly diminished by dishwashing. Otherwise, a great product.

I spent hours researching espresso machines online the other day and ventured out to the store to play with some of the ones I found at a local high-end cooking store. While I was there I came across the Primula stove-top 3-cup. At under $20, I figured I should give it a shot in light of the multi-hundred-dollar machines I was considering.

It took a few sessions to really figure this thing out, but I'm now very pleased with it. I don't think I'll be looking for a espresso "machine" anytime soon--this thing makes a very passable shot of espresso, better than any cheap espresso machine I've encountered.

Some tips/observations:

* Like all espresso makers, fresh ground coffee is better. Way better. You may save a bunch on this cheap espresso maker but don't skimp on the grinder.

* Like all espresso makers, the grind is key. If you don't have great results on your first try, try varying the grind a few more times.

* Tamping is a little tricky because the filter has a slight curve to it, and you need to tamp the coffee all the way up to the top of the filter in order for it to be pressed by the top of the unit. I found I have to do about 3 cycles of "add more" / "tamp" before I fully top the thing off.

* You'll want to remove it from the heat pretty soon after the espresso starts to rise to the top. If you let it go for too long without paying attention you'll boil/burn the espresso. I've been leaving the lid open and keeping an eye on it, then once the espresso starts i close the lid, take it off the heat and then let it sit for a minute.

* Cleaning is a slight chore because you have to clean it by hand, but I actually don't mind cleaning it. I like that you can take the whole thing apart and thoroughly clean it, unlike most espresso machines.

* The biggest downside to this thing is you really only get to us it once, then you have to wait for it to cool. You also have to wait for it to cool to clean it.

Time: Figure 10 minutes to make your espresso, 5 minutes to drink it, 5 more minutes to wait for it to cool, then 2 minutes to clean it.

Buy Primula Stove-Top Espresso Maker, Aluminum, 3-Cup Now

I love this product. Unfortunately the one I got from Specialty Gourmet Goodies was not a "Primula". Apparently the American importer of Primula products has decided to sell cheap Chinese knock offs under the primula name. Specialty claims said importer assured them that it was the same product but in different packaging. All "primula" products are made in their Venezuelan factory, are of very high quality, and bear several identifying marks. The one I received said Made in China on the box, was of low quality, and bore no marks. I'm not sure if it is a supply problem, ex.trade sanctions on leftist Venezuela; or more demand than supply, or if it is a money thing, cheap labor=larger profit margin. Be careful when buying this product. If you don't know any better, well then you probably won't tell the difference. But if your serious about your coffee, Demand that the "Primula" name is on the aluminum!!!

Read Best Reviews of Primula Stove-Top Espresso Maker, Aluminum, 3-Cup Here

I have one and I bought this for my daughter. It makes wonderful espresso and is very affordable.

Want Primula Stove-Top Espresso Maker, Aluminum, 3-Cup Discount?

I've purchased two of these at my local kitchen shop in the last two weeks, and each has failed for different reasons. The first worked for a week, then stopped channeling hot water through the filter--you'd open the top, and there'd be nothing there. The store owner couldn't have been nicer, and gave me another, thinking there was probably something wrong with the seal. This morning's attempt yielded a melted handle--and this was over a low flame. I'm off to buy a Moka via Amazon this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment