Sunday, July 28, 2013

Chef's Choice 6800001 Cordless Electric Glass Kettle

Chef's Choice 6800001 Cordless Electric Glass KettleAfter reading every single review and practically poking my eyes out....I decided on this one, in part because it has a glass pouring spout, glass interior and hidden heating element. No plastic touches the boiling water...only the condensation on the plastic lid. It's slim pickens out there these days. My 16-yr-old Russell Hobbs kettle suddenly bit the dust. It was a real RH (before the company was sold off) and it had the heating element inside the stainless steel kettle. Over 16 yrs, we went from a family of 6, hardcore tea drinkers....down to just the two of us. To go from that old RH to this glass one was a leap of faith. I initially am not disappointed. I boiled an initial pot of water & dumped it. Then I washed the interior out with soap & water before boiling two more kettles to spill out. It was easy to get my hand inside to clean it. It took 7 minutes to bring ice cold tap water to a rolling boil at the maximum fill line. I enjoyed a pot of tea without any strange smells or tastes. It poured nicely into my teapot without any spills from the spout. It looks nice on my counter top and takes up less space than my old kettle. It's not too heavy nor is it cumbersome in any way. I can't live without the speed and convenience of an electric kettle and this one makes me super happy. I'm like "so modern" now! The only downside was that Amazon did not have this kettle in stock so I made the purchase from a vendor and had to pay a shipping charge (I'm a Prime gal). The vendor did pack well and I received it within 2 days anyway, so other than having to pay for shipping, it was still a seamless purchase. I will certainly update my review if I encounter any trouble with it because I am a militant tea addict. You're welcome.

I just received this today, so only time will tell. I read a LOT of reviews before making this purchase and so far I am happy that it has none of the short-comings I've read about other kettles. My primary requirement was that the kettle not be plastic. I've read about many of the "stainless steel" models rusting over time or having plastic liners or other plastic parts. This glass kettle solves most of those issues. The only plastic inside the kettle is the bottom of the lid and a small frame that holds the metal debris screen in the spout.

Starts bubbling within 30 seconds on being turned on and brings 30 oz of cold tap water to a rolling boil in just over 2 minutes. Boils the 50 oz. maximum volume of cold tap water in about 5 minutes. Pours beautifully. No spills or slop. Well balanced. Easy to read volume gauge. When the lid release button is pushed, the lid locks in the open position making filling easy. The lid also 'locks' shut.

The cord isn't actually retractable, but can be shortened or coiled up under the base. The only feature this kettle lacks that some avid tea drinkers might like is a temperature control. The only feature this kettle lacks that I would like is an audible signal that the unit has turned off.

So far, so good as I attempt to eliminate plastics from all of my utensils, food storage and processing. I'm very much hoping this product endures well.

Buy Chef's Choice 6800001 Cordless Electric Glass Kettle Now

I bought this as a replacement for a Breville Kettle.

[Good]

Glass design: really like being able to see what I'm boiling even if it is just plain water. I also really like the fact that glass doesn't rust, nor does it contain horrible, unhealthy chemicals that plastics tend to leech when they are heated.

The spout doesn't drip.

[Bad]

Overfilling is very easy (and makes this not so safe): At most match the 2nd highest mark for water. The highest mark will result in an overfill. What happens when you overfill and boil water? Well water will start coming out of the unit's glass and seep into the part where the glass and metal meet, meaning that water will get inside the unit. In other words this is a potential hazard. I never had to think about stuff like this with the competing metal electric kettles. (It is fine when you get into the habit of filling it just fine.) This design needs work. I'm willing to pay more money to get a better design. Chef's Choice, just please don't cheapen your products.

Capacity: Does not heat as much water as competing metal kettles.

Must hand dry: Like all electric kettles I've seen so far (even the Breville's), you have to dry the metal plate after use. Why? Because eventually it will rust. I found this out the hard way with past competing products. The reason? Well no matter how you tip the kettle, not all the water is going to leave the metal plate. This is easier to do with the glass container, since you can actually see the metal portions unlike the all metal kettles. In Chef's Choice defense, this is a problem that all products in this class (that I've used) suffer from.

Plastic: While it is nice that there's less direct contact with plastic and the heated water, it's still there on top as the lid as well as the filter. I would pay more to have no plastic in contact with the liquid being boiled. Having plastic in contact with the heated water negates the health benefit of the inertness of glass.

On / Off Switch feels like it's easy to break. I think Breville's switch design is better.

[Misc]

The price is fair.

The automatic off function works.

[Verdict]

I still haven't seen a perfect electric kettle. This may not be the one, but it's comparable to competing products. It's not bad.

Read Best Reviews of Chef's Choice 6800001 Cordless Electric Glass Kettle Here

We really like the electric glass kettle. It brings water to a boil quickly and then shuts off right away. It also shuts off when I lift it off its base. Very efficient. It is somewhat larger than my need but overall I would purchase it again.

Want Chef's Choice 6800001 Cordless Electric Glass Kettle Discount?

After owning several Capresso H2O Plus electric kettles and having them all fail shortly after the warranty expired, it was time for a change. The Chef's Choice kettle has all the features that I grew to love in the Capresso. They include:

a fast boil of 8 minutes for a full kettle, way faster then my stovetop. I even use the boiled kettle water to pour into a small sauce pot for cooking on the stovetop. A nice time saver.

an all glass carafe, no plastic contacts the boiling water except for the small frame that holds the mesh screen at the spout. It's entertaining to view the water reach a boil.

an illuminated on switch that shuts off when the water has reached a full boil.

this kettle retains the temperature of hot water better then the Capresso. It maybe because the Chef's Choice has a larger boiling plate at the bottom of the kettle which is great.

the kettle has a nice brushed stainless steel trim around the outside. It fits in well with the rest of the kitchen.

initially the pot felt awkward to pickup and pour, but that's because this kettle has more heft then the Capresso. Now that I've used it everyday it feels and pours just fine, like anything new you have to adjust to the change.

lastly it looks great! Lets just hope it gives years of service. I hope this was helpful.

Save 25% Off

No comments:

Post a Comment