Monday, November 25, 2013

Krups XP4030 Pump Espresso Machine, Black

Krups XP4030 Pump Espresso Machine, BlackAfter making cappuccino on steam type espresso makers daily for the past 12 years, I thought it was time to upgrade to a pump model. I researched pump types and decided on this model. Wow! What a difference! The espresso first comes out as a creamy light brown froth which then clarifies into a rich darker brown color within a minute. What a difference in taste! We use pure Kona and the taste is softer and smoother than we're used to. In the week I've used it, I haven't yet mastered the froth on this unit, but it's getting better and is probably a learning curve on my behalf.

Some pointers and caveats need to be mentioned up front for optimum performance and eyes wide open purchase:

1) This model is heavier & noisier than steam models

2) No decanter is included. I use a Pyrex measuring cup if making two servings. About 1/3 cup per espresso serving.

3) You must manually turn off the espresso control after the desired quantity is made, hence the measurement of 1/3 cup per serving

4) The water tank is removable--a nice touch. If it is not reseated properly, you will hear a very loud continuous noise as the unit tries to suck out water it cannot obtain. This is just a learner's tip.

5) While the water reservoir is massive, you can only make one or two servings at a time, unless the espresso is diluted. Making more is only a matter of placing the unit in standby, removing the grounds, refilling with fresh grounds and continuing the process again.

6) Always wait for the thump thump noises of the pump to stop before proceeding to the next step. This is usually a matter of several seconds, just don't be impatient!

7) Whenever crafting the froth, you must wait for the orange light to go out before proceeding. This is like waiting for the oven to reach appropriate temperature.

8) Alternatively, you cannot go straight from froth to espresso without first placing the unit in standby for a cooldown cycle. The pump will cycle for about 10 seconds. When it stops, you can proceed. This is only a cool down period.

9) For making espresso only, this unit is FAST!!

10) I am well over the age of 13!

With the above in mind, I hope you take the plunge. The price is right and the difference in taste is remarkable. If you're thinking of upgrading your steam espresso maker, go for it! The Holidaze are just around the corner!

First, an introduction to my point-of-view on coffee. I am not a coffee snob by any means, but I do know what tastes good and what does not. I am also no stranger to the kitchen...what I mean is, kitchen gadgets are pretty self-explanatory to me.

I wanted an espresso machine because paying almost $5 for a latte a day was becoming out of control I brew coffee at home all the time, but really needed something that would save me $20+ a week. I purchased a Mr Coffee unit which was awful and I returned. I did not want to spend $300 $500 on something to brew espresso, but I did not want something that was cheap. I selected this model based upon it's pump feature and my previous experience with Krups.

Right out of the box, I cleaned the system following the simple instructions. Then, I was off to make my first latte. I read the instructions, while cleaning the system, and found them very easy to understand. Also, cleaning the system really helps to learn the system quite quickly. So, off I go....

This KRUPS unit brews a beautiful cup of espresso and quite simply so. Once my espresso was brewed, I steamed and foamed my milk for a latte. I could not believe how simple it was. My very first experience with this unit and I was able to create a wonderful latte that not only tasted good, but came out right. The milk was hot and there was the right amount of foam to drizzle my chocolate on top.

This unit allows you not only to brew ground espresso, but also pods if you choose. I am not a fan of the pods, but I might be with this unit. There are three filters in the box. A one scoop (cup), two scoop and pod filter. Also, it comes with a nice scoop that has a flat bottom at the end of the handle so that you can tamp your grounds in the filter. Very clever. The only thing that you might like which does not come with this unit is an actual small pot. I use a measuring cup so I can see exactly how much espresso I have brewed, but you can always purchase one of those pots as well.

The milk steamer/foamer is very simple to use. There is about a 3 inch clearing, so you may want to purchase a shorter stainless steel cup for steaming your milk. I use a 2 cup with the slant design. It is a pump; the sounds it makes are very normal.

Some tips I would like to offer:

1. Before pouring your milk into your container for steaming, place it in the freezer for about 5 minutes so that the milk is really cold. This will help to achieve the best foam.

2. Freshly ground espresso beans will give a full-flavor espresso. I tried pre-ground and it is not near as good.

3. Don't get frustrated if it does not work the first time. Especially the milk. This really is simple on this unit, but does take practice if you have never done it before.

A side note: My favorite is a Marble Mocha Macchiato so I wanted to attempt this at home. Use about 1 cup of milk, purchase white chocolate sauce and dark chocolate syrup and you can make these at home for cheap. They are just as good. You can also create white chocolate mochas omitting the dark chocolate syrup.

Buy Krups XP4030 Pump Espresso Machine, Black Now

This machine is fantastic--makes an excellent espresso, best I've ever had (and I'm a total coffee junky). I was a bit skeptical because of some of the bad reviews on here, but I've owned a Krups steam espresso machine for 16 years (4 espressos a day) and it still works like the day I bought it. I wouldn't have believed the difference the pump makes if I hadn't tried it for myself--if you love espresso like I do, dump the steam and get this machine.

As to the bad reviews...

The "noise" issue that people talk about is ridiculous. It makes two clicking noises when it starts up, which lasts about 1 second. Then it does the same thing when you flip the switch to make your espresso--1-2 seconds of a metallic clicking sound that is about as loud as an older dishwasher. Hardly what I would qualify as a "racket" or "sounds like a tank." It's compressing really hot water using metal bars in a pump mechanism--what do you expect? If you want total silence, you should expect to pay more than $150 for some feat of sound-baffling engineering by Bosch or something!

Second, the whole "leaks like crazy" issue is just plain wrong. There's a tray that collects extra water from the process. They tell you this in the manual (read it). It's NOT A LEAK--it's part of the normal operation of the machine. This slowly fills up, and needs to be emptied once a week--you pull it out, rinse it off and you're done.

The machine is also built like a tank, but doesn't sound like one...this is a solid piece of machinery--even the handle is made like it's supposed to be handed down to your grandchildren (it weighs 2-3 pounds!).

If you're looking to get into a pump machine, but don't want to spend outrageous amounts of money on it, this is the way to go. Don't bother with the bad reviews on here--people don't read the manual, and they expect engineering miracles that can a) fit on your countertop and b) cost under $150. Good luck with that!

I love this machine and I'm sold on Krups design, workmanship and value--ignore the whiners and buy it.

Read Best Reviews of Krups XP4030 Pump Espresso Machine, Black Here

Pumps great espresso, but after 2 months, my steaming wand flew off while steaming milk. One month later, milk stops frothing altogether. I called Krups customer service and they advised that I decalcify the machine. Mix 2 cups vinegar, 2 cups water, run some of the mixture through the steaming wand and the espresso pump. Then let sit for an hour. Now, run the vinegar through both the espresso pump and the steaming wand until it runs out. I found that the vinegar cleared the clog in my steaming wand! Repeat the whole process, this time with clear filtered water, to wash away the vinegar.

The machine should work great now. I learned that when the steaming wand gets a little clogged, it increases the pressure and this blows off the rubber gasket at the end of the wand, spewing milk all over. Depending on the hardness of your water, it is recommended to decalcify the machine every month.

Thanks to Judd at Krups for helping me out.

Ken

Want Krups XP4030 Pump Espresso Machine, Black Discount?

This is a sharp looking machine that looks good sitting on the countertop. This is my first espresso machine, so it definitely took some time getting it right. Be aware that the nozzle on the frothing milk component often comes off and leads to a rather large mess of milk going everywhere. Other than that, the machine makes pretty good lattes/espressos. Also, you have to shut off the espresso maker manually when the proper amount of espresso has been made. This took me some time to figure out the proper amount in order to not dilute the beverage. Despite these issues, the product runs well and seems to be of decent quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment