Saturday, March 29, 2014

FrancisFrancis! X1 Espresso Machine

FrancisFrancis! X1 Espresso Machine, RedThis amazing, gorgeous machine was a gift from several friends who stayed at our house for a week, and it is hands down the greatest gift we've ever gotten.

First of all, it's orange. Orange! We don't even touch the coffee machine anymore, except when we run out of milk. Second, the espresso is delightful, frothy, thick -and the foamer foams like nobody's business. And it's amazingly simple to clean up after-we used to have a Krups that required three times the amount of post-cappuccino cleanup for a drink that was only a third as good.

Also, people marvel when they come over. They gawk and gape, openmouthed. "What is this beautiful orange thing?" they ask. We are the envy of the entire neighborhood. Men covet; women swoon.

Did I mention that there's a picture of little girl with her tongue sticking out on the temperature gauge? They're clever people, those Italian espresso machine makers. Such a delightful sense of humor.

Did I mention we love it?

I bought this machine 7 years ago and since then I use it on a daily basis. It has given me much pleasure and I haven't run into any problems at all. I bought it together with an extra portafilter for using pods (more expensive, but very convenient since no cleaning afterwards is needed).

Pro's:

design (temperature indicator needs a lot of time to adjust, so it should be considered as decorative only)

reliable (I can only say its construction is reasonably good and it works already 7 years without problems)

easy-to-use, no complicated switches/options

Contra:

cup holder does NOT get warm. This is a serious problem, since you can't drink espresso in cold cups since then the coffe will cool down immediately. I 'solved' this by putting hot water from the espressomachine itself into the cups and then wait for 20 seconds before actually making the espresso. When you want to make 5 espresso's in a row it takes quite some time.

waterreservoir is at back side, and difficult to reach.

making one espresso takes about 20 seconds. Other machines can do it in 10 seconds.

Recently I bought an espresso machine for my father and after some thinking I decided not to give him a Francis, but a "Gaggia classic coffee machine" because Gaggia solved the above drawbacks: The Gaggia's construction is stronger and more reliable, and its cup holder does get warm. However, later I discovered that the cups themselves only get warm if you leave the machine switched on the entire day and I don't do that so I still need the water pre-heating trick. Good point is that the Gaggia is fast: 10 seconds for 1 espresso.

My overal conclusion is that the Francis is a machine that gives me pleasure for already 7 years and of course, with any machine you will discover a few minor drawbacks after using it that long. Decide for yourself whether these drawbacks are really drawbacks.

Buy FrancisFrancis! X1 Espresso Machine Now

I purchased this unit along with a friend and we were both very unsatisfied by the quality of coffee this beautiful machine produced. I'll keep this review short: it is not powerful, is fragile, and does not make a consistent cup of coffee (I know all of the tricks, I used to be a barrista in Milan). For the best machine under [this price], try the Rancilio Silvia 90. With the extra money you save, you can buy a matching Rancilio Rocky Grinder.

Read Best Reviews of FrancisFrancis! X1 Espresso Machine Here

I have had a X1 in more than 4 years (since Oct 1997) and it has made a lot of excellent cups of espresso for me. I have some minor problems. After about a year the external thermometer stop working. Not really important as it is only for display, the internal thermostat is still working. Second, it is starting to rust under the dip grill. Third, the rubber sealing above the filter holder is starting to leak.

I am using grinded coffee and I have found that it is somewhat sensitive to loading the filter holder with the correct amount of coffee. To much coffee and the compressor can not press the water thru the coffee, to little coffee and you will not get any crema.

Want FrancisFrancis! X1 Espresso Machine Discount?

Two months ago I bought the X1 from the new serie "X1 by appointment" at the online store azone.ch. Discount price about 500 USD including a box of 18 E.S.E pods from AMICI. The inventor of the machine Francesco Illy is a "pope" of the coffee industry. He founded the "Francis Francis" Company in Switzerland. His father and grandfather are the founder of the "ILLY" coffee brand. A name for sophisticated taste of coffee. Francesco Illy started to launch his own brand "AMICI". There are actually 4 different E.S.E. pods available. My favourites are the "Espresso" (silver box with red stripe) and "Ristretto" (..with black stripe). Please check amici.ch for more information. So, that's a little bit about history and now my review: When I read the negative postings I wonder why there are some problems when using the machine or why the coffee gives some people only average joy. Here my suggestions for a real espresso experience:

Rule 1: Strictly use the E.S.E. pods....the one from AMICI or LAVAZZA I can suggest. Not try to use non-E.S.E. pods. They will not fit perfectly.

Rule 2: Buy some high quality espresso cups. If the porcelain is robust and thick it can keep and lead the warmth much better.

Rule 3: Always use pre-heatened cup. Place them on top of the coffee machine. I never turn off the machine. If you switched of the machine, wait about 20 minutes before preparing coffee.

And important: Pour one espresso cup of water before inserting any pod. This guarantees, that the cup gets his temperature and that the machine gets its operation temperature.

Rule 4: Keep your machine clean. After every use clean the pad-holder. Put it in the machine (be sure there are no pods inside) and simply pour water for about 10 seconds trough it.

Rule 5: For the ones who experienced damages, I think, they didn't threat it correctly! After using the steam YOU MUST SWITCH BACK to the espresso mode and activate the toggle switch for espresso. Simply pour water about 20 seconds. Now the boiler will not overheat and protects the machine. If you do not follow that rule your machine could be damaged seriously!

Final commentary: Those people who wants to compare the X1 with any one from Braun for about 99 USD and think the taste is the same, I must only say, that they have no concept of good coffee taste. The Francis Francis is nothing for people who confuse real espresso flavor with the over-sweeted plastic or paper taste of any Mc Donalds or Dunkin' Donuts sewage.

The first time I have seen the X1 I knew, soon or less I will purchase it. The unmistakable design didn't relinquish myself anymore. Every day walking to the kitchen, the Francis Francis X1 smiles at me. A machine to take into one's heart.

Marcel Dubach, ZURICH

No comments:

Post a Comment